Sabbatical Blog

...chronicling some of my projects and learnings during this time apart from parish ministry

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Proud Member of the Religious Left

Here's an exciting little paragraph from the Seattle Times:

Fault Lines Widen Between Evangelicals and the GOP The Seattle TimesThe fractures between some leading evangelicals and the Republican Party occur in a context of reawakening of what some call the Religious Left. Mainline Protestants, liberal Catholics, Reform Jews, progressive Muslims and Unitarian Universalists came alive politically in opposition to the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003 and further mobilized in the 2004 electoral campaign. The best-selling books of Jim Wallis ("God's Politics") and Michael Lerner ("The Left Hand of God") show that religious progressive voices have a sizable, national following.

Michael Learner spoke at my church on Sunday, and I slipped in to hear him. He's a powerful speaker with powerful, workable ideas. I'm reading his book now. As one who has often felt dissed by the political left, not because of my political views but because I view myself as a religious person, his passion on that point especially speaks to me. Last year Jim Wallis excited me; Rabbi Learner excites me even more.